skip navigation

Chamberlain’s Stoppage-Time Tally Lifts Kitsap

06/01/2015, 2:30pm EDT

Pumas move to 4-0-0 with 1-0 victory against Puget Sound Gunners

Kitsap Pumas News Release –

Monday, June 1, 2015

BREMERTON, Wash. – The Kitsap Pumas’ Michael Chamberlain scored a 92nd-minute winner against the Puget Sound Gunners for a 1-0 victory on Sunday at Gordon Field to maintain their perfect start to the PDL season.

For the third game in a row, a substitute came off the bench to make the difference for the defending Western Conference champions. Chamberlain, who netted a hat-trick in the home opener against Calgary, once again was the hero, smashing home an Ash Apollon layoff with virtually the last kick of the game after Mike Ramos had seen an 84th-minute penalty saved.

The Pumas improved to 4-0-0 on the season.

The Gunners (0-2-2) frustrated the hosts right from the start, giving up territory but keeping all 11 players behind the ball and looking to capitalize with counter attacks. Pumas keeper Matt Grosey had only given up one league goal in the previous three league matches and that tally was never threatened during a first half in which the Pumas dominated without creating many clear chances. The closest either team game to breaking the deadlock in the first half came after 25 minutes when the lively Carlos Patino climbed highest to meet an Eronemo cross and power a header toward goal that had the goalkeeper beaten but cannoned against the crossbar.

At halftime, the Pumas withdrew San Jose Earthquakes draft pick Chimdum Mez and replaced him with Seattle Pacific University graduate Sean Russell, in the hopes that Russell’s speed would hold the key to unlocking the stubborn Gunners defense. The change nearly had the desired effect moments into the second half when Russell burst past his mark and teed up the advancing Nick Hamer who managed to elude the defense, but he dragged his shot agonizingly past the post.

As the game wore on, the Gunners team, who were throwing everything on the line over and over again to thwart Pumas attacks began to tire. The Pumas could sense this and introduced the fresh legs of Miller, Apollon and Chamberlain, changes that subsequently started a prolonged assault on the Gunners goal from all angles and distances. Ramos twice was denied by excellent defensive blocks while Apollon and Chamberlain could only find the side netting with drives. Logan Miller and Rene DeZorzi both flashed headers just past the post. As the minutes ticked away, it became a case of would time run out before one found the back of the net.

With six minutes left to play, the Pumas midfield combined well and set Mike Ramos free in the box. As he spun back toward goal, his flighted cross was adjudged to have been deliberately handled by a defender, resulting in a Pumas penalty award. Ramos confidently placed the ball on the spot but his powerful strike was expertly tipped over the bar by the goalkeeper to the delight of the visiting supporters.

In the second of two additional minutes, just as it looked as though the Gunners were going to escape with a point, substitute Jake Bond galloped down the right side and served an enticing ball to the back post that was knocked down beautifully by Miller and slammed into the net by the waiting Chamberlain to send the Pumas fans into euphoria.

“We were knocking on the door for a while there, and I’m delighted one went in,” Chamberlain said. “[Bond] whipped in a great ball and after the touch, I managed to stick it in the back of the net.”

Tag(s): NEWS