Photo courtesy of Michigan Athletics
Two days ahead of the 2018 MLS Player Combine, TopDrawerSoccer has released version 2.0 of its first-round mock draft, projecting 16 PDL alums to be taken in the first 23 selections.
First off the board in terms of PDL alums is Michigan Bucks and University of Michigan star Francis Atuahene, going fourth overall to the Montreal Impact on a Generation Adidas contract. He's closely followed by 2017 MAC Hermann Trophy winner Jon Bakero, with the Carolina Dynamo and Wake Forest forward going fifth overall to Minnesota United, and Reading United AC and Syracuse midfielder Mo Adams being selected sixth by Orlando City on another Generation Adidas deal.
The middle of the first round is fully laden with PDL talent, with every selection from eight to 14 boasting experience in North America's top pre-professional league. The New England Revolution kick of the mid-round selections with back-to-back PDL picks at eight and nine, taking highly-touted Chicago FC United and Wisconsin star Chris Mueller alongside Burlingame Dragons and Pacific defender Tristan Blackmon. Later, Atlanta United sees Tobacco Road FC and UNC forward Alan Winn fall into their laps, taking the MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist with the 14th selection.
The late first round features another seven PDL alums going off the board, including four straight from picks 16 to 19. The two New York-based MLS clubs bookend those selections, with the Red Bulls targeting Portland Timbers U23 and Louisville forward Mohamed Thiaw to open the run and New York City FC selecting a local talent in Long Island Rough Riders and Columbia forward Arthur Bosua on the other end.
To stay up-to-date on everything PDL-related at the 2018 Combine and SuperDraft, check out our MLS SuperDraft Central page, featuring player spotlights, rising prospects, draft history and more.
Here’s a look at the full TDS first round mock draft.
1. Los Angeles FC - Ema Twumasi* (Wake Forest)
2. LA Galaxy - Tomas Hilliard-Arce (Stanford)
3. D.C. United - Mason Toye* (Indiana)
4. Montreal Impact - Francis Atuahene* (Michigan/Michigan Bucks)
5. Minnesota United FC - Jon Bakero (Wake Forest/Carolina Dynamo)
6. Orlando City SC - Mo Adams* (Syracuse/Reading United AC)
7. Montreal Impact - Joao Moutinho (Akron)
8. New England Revolution - Christopher Mueller (Wisconsin/Chicago FC United)
9. New England Revolution - Tristan Blackmon (Pacific/Burlingame Dragons)
10. Real Salt Lake - Daniel Musovski (UNLV/FC Tucson)
11. FC Dallas - Justin Fiddes (Washington/Southern California Surf)
12. San Jose Earthquakes - Christopher Lema (Georgetown/New York Red Bulls U23)
13. Sporting Kansas City - Rafael Andrade Santos (VCU/SIMA Aguilas)
14. Atlanta United FC - Alan Winn (UNC/Tobacco Road FC)
15. Chicago Fire - Marcelo Acuna (Virginia Tech)
16. New York Red Bulls - Mohamed Thiaw (Louisville/Portland Timbers U23)
17. Vancouver Whitecaps - Drew Skundrich (Stanford/Burlingame Dragons)
18. Sporting Kansas City - Wyatt Omsberg (Dartmouth/Seacoast United Phantoms)
19. New York City FC - Arthur Bosua (Columbia/Long Island Rough Riders)
20. Houston Dynamo - Gordon Wild (Maryland)
21. Columbus Crew - Jake Rozhansky (Maryland/D.C. United U23)
22. Seattle Sounders - Brian White (Duke/New York Red Bulls U23)
23. Toronto FC - Tim Kubel (Louisville)
* indicates Generation Adidas player